Search This Blog
Friday, February 25, 2022
$4.1 million in cryptocurrency funneled to Ukrainian military since Russia invaded
Sunday, January 9, 2022
𝐒𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐩 𝐌𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐏𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐚𝐧 𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐏𝐚𝐩𝐮𝐚 𝐁𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐮 𝐃𝐚𝐥𝐚𝐦 𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐏𝐚𝐩𝐮𝐚 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐲 (𝐖𝐏𝐀)
Saturday, January 8, 2022
Marape: No place for regionalism in military
8th January 2022
By CLIFFORD FAIPARIK
THE PNG Defence Force belongs to the whole of Papua New Guinea and not to be dominated by an ethnic group or a region, Prime Minister James Marape says.
“It (PNGDF) is the chief corner stone of our sovereignty in a nation of thousand tribes. From the eastern most part of the country (Autonomous Region Of Bougainville and Milne Bay ) that divides Solomon Island and PNG, to the most northern part (Manus )of our Micronesian neighbors, to the western-most part (West Sepik )that divides PNG with West Papua in Indonesia and to the southern part (Western )that divides PNG, Australia and also Indonesia .The entire of the sovereignty of our nationhood is embodied in the personality of the PNGDF as its role to maintain our sovereignty.”
Marape said that during the promotion of Colonel Mark Goina to Major General and the Announcement of his appointment as the new Chief of PNGDF at Murray Barracks in Port Moresby last week. “It is in our constitution that there must have a regional balance in our key constitutional office holders. In this context, in police, we have the Commissioner from New Guinea Island and chief of PNGDF from the Papuan region who earns his stripes on merit. And in the rank and file of the PNGDF, we have qualified military officers from all over the country. And many of our appointments in public office is regionally balanced. “We maintain a harmony to ensure that key constitutional offices holders are regionally balanced. And that is to ensure that the country is always protected as we progress forward.
”Marape said that “Appointments of public office holders is not based on the region you coming from. But is based on the best man available for that job. And having consider everything we got Goina as the new chief of PNGDF. Our challenges remain huge in security, tribalism, and now we face a challenge of a part of our country (Autonomous Region of Bougainville) trying to break away from us (PNG). Also election is coming up and you (PNGDF) will support the Police.
Forgot politics and remain focused on your job. Marape also acknowledge the outgoing Chief of PNGDF Major General Gilbert Toropo. “For eight years he has stepped up to hold the Force that was under resourced and underfunded. But he has to go and we have appointed him as the High Commissioner to New Zealand.
Caption: Mark Goina’s wife Mirah pinning the ranks to her husband’s shoulders with the help of the Prime Minister James Marape and Deputy Chief Of Staff Colonel Tim Marsden at the Officers mess at Murray Barracks in Port Moresby last week.
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Riwayat hidup Singkat Senaf Soll Mantan Anggota TNI Yang Membelot Ke TPN.PB Kodap XVI Yahukimo
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Peringatan Keras Kepada Saudara Anton Gobay dan Andy Yeimo Untuk Tidak Manipulasi Document Milik KOMNAS TPNPB-OPM Tentang Perang Pembebasan melalui the TPNPB-OPM NEWS
Tuesday, September 7, 2021
TPN OPM.Menolak Komando TPN OPM Bentukam Menase Tabuni
Indonesian Soldiers Killed During Papuan Separatist Raid
The attack, which claimed the lives of four soldiers, was the deadliest to have taken place in the region this year.
Papuan separatist rebels have killed four government soldiers and wounded two others during a raid on a military post in the predawn hours of September 2, Indonesian military officials said.
Dozens of assailants believed to belong to the West Papua National Liberation Army (WPNLA), the military wing of the Free Papua Organization, stormed a post in Maybrat regency and attacked six soldiers with arrows, machetes, and other basic weapons, Hendra Pesireron, the spokesperson of the West Papua regional military command, said in a statement.
As provincial military commander Maj. Gen. I Nyoman Cantiasa told a separate news conference, “About 30 people or more believed to be separatist terrorists armed with machetes attacked the post in the early hours of Thursday, resulting in the deaths of four members of the Indonesian Army and two others suffering stab wounds.” Cantiasa added that he had deployed two platoons of soldiers “to hunt down the group” responsible for the attacks.
WPNLA spokesperson Sebby Sambom quickly claimed responsibility for the attack, the deadliest on state security forces this year in West Papua, one of two provinces which make up the unsettled Papua region in Indonesia’s east.
“Our militants under the orders of the West Papua Liberation Army supreme commander Goliath Tabuni are responsible for this morning’s attack,” he said in a statement yesterday. Sambom called on the government to negotiate with the Free Papua Organization (OPM). Otherwise, “The war will not stop,” he added. “It will continue in Papua as long as Indonesia is still occupying (Papuan) land.”
Enjoying this article? Click here to subscribe for full access. Just $5 a month.
The attack follows the killing of two construction workers in Yahukimo regency, whose bodies were burned near a bridge project on August 23. Earlier this week, police arrested four suspected members of the WPNLA for the killings.
Papua was incorporated into Indonesia in 1969 on the basis of a U.N.-sponsored referendum – the Act of Free Choice – that Papuan nationalists say was very far from free. Since then, a low-level insurgency has persisted in the region, flaring up periodically in response to the exploitation of the region’s rich natural resources and the transmigration of thousands of people from other parts of the archipelago.
The situation in Papua has grown increasingly tense over the past few years, as separatist forces have launched violent and daring attacks on soldiers and civilians that it accuses of facilitating the region’s occupation, bringing a heavy-handed and disproportionate response from the Indonesian military.
In November, the regional U.N. Human Rights Office expressed its concern about the rash of violence and arrests that have taken place since 2018. “Military and security forces have been reinforced in the region and there have been repeated reports of extra-judicial killings, excessive use of force, arrest and continuous harassment and intimidation of protesters and human rights defenders,” the U.N. statement said.
The situation has worsened since April, when separatist fighters ambushed and killed Brig. Gen. Gusti Putu Danny Nugraha, the head of Indonesia’s intelligence agency in the eastern province. The assassination led the government to formally designate Papuan separatists “terrorists” and deploy additional troops to the region.
The campaign has resulted in deaths on both sides, dozens of arrests, and the mass displacement of Papuan villagers caught in the middle of the conflict. Then, in July, Jakarta renewed and amended a Special Autonomy Law that local activists say will increase Jakarta’s grip over the restive but resource-rich region.
Source The Diplomat